Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas News

Hey all. I hope your holidays are going wonderfully.

So, I'm off work at my main job (woohoo academia!)a few weeks for Christmas. I'm still cleaning houses and all that jazz. I've secured a bunch of part time work for the spring and have been feeling really good about the prospect of paying off my consumer debt, making big dents in the student loans, and whittling down my car payment.

And then I came home yesterday to an email informing me that my academic job, the one that actually pays the bills, is probably gone. The economy means that they can't pay us. Most of the jobs are revoked, and all the remaining jobs are significantly reduced in hours.

THIS SUCKS. This was a threat a few months ago, and then the situation was rectified and I was given my hours back. Now, our contracts won't be what we were told, if any of us have them at all.

Now, that being said, I'm already setting up interviews -- I have one Monday morning. I never have stopped looking for a full time job, that illustrious unicorn that comes with health insurance, a normal schedule and paid vacation. I won't have it any time soon, but I've been trying. And, since I had overloaded my schedule for spring, I have some work. Not enough right now, but some. And, since I'm on a horrendous pay delay, I have another paycheck at the end of January. These are all good things that are keeping the panic attacks from lasting more than fifteen minutes.

The upside? You're gonna see me a lot more. And boy, will the frugality tips keep coming. And you know what? We're all going to get through this depression/recession/economic flu, and we're going to be alright.

And who the hell sends out a mass email the week before Christmas telling employees they don't have jobs? Seriously!

Happy Holidays, eveyone! I hope to be back this weekend with the Christmas baking update.

Happies,
KB

No comments: